Easier said than done when you look for a Criminal Defense Attorney you find thousands of listings all claiming to be exceptionally good and effective. How do you identify a good houston dwi defense attorney from this multitude? How would you know whom to choose? Here are some very important criteria that would help you arrive at the right answer:
- Search in advance – like an insurance policy and family medical practitioner you should do your research before you need it. In other words, you need to process all the available information and take your decision before you really need legal representation. For when you need one, you would need him or her fast and that would not give you time to search. Therefore, it is important to take your time and research carefully to identify such a professional whom you could call upon in case of any emergency or misunderstanding with the law.
- Give a retainer – how do you get a personal lawyer? The most common way is to give them a yearly retainer until you have a case for him or her, which hopefully would not happen. Once this person is on your retainer, you could call upon his or her services at any time you find the need. In such a case, he or she would and should be just one call away.
- Discuss with your legal expert the methods of contact, in time of trouble when problems arise because they do not come announced or with a previous appointment. They befall you at the most inconvenient moments of your life and you should be able to reach out to your professional at the same time. It is most important that you can reach your legal advisor in matter of minutes of your arrest or whatever trouble you have with the law so the trouble must be minimized right from the beginning. You and your lawyer should have worked out how he or she could be reached at any time of the day or night.
- Let them know what you fear – you never hide anything from your lawyer or doctor for your life literally depends upon the knowledge they have about you. So, in case you suspect or fear any problem with the law do let your legal expert know so he or she could work out something in advance and/ or be prepared for any eventuality in the direction you point.
- Firm versus an independent lawyer – should you choose a firm or should you choose a lawyer who is practicing individually? This depends upon how complicated your life is. Say, if you are an owner of a large company it would make sense to take a good firm.
However, if you are just a regular Joe thinking about ‘being prepared’ for all eventualities better go for a single professional. This would personalize the things for you and also keep your bills low. It is important that you choose a person as per your requirements so, what are your requirements?